Canadian Tire Motorsport Park Trans Am Qualifying Report
May 19, 2012
Under spectacular blue skies, the Trans Am Series, America's Road Racing Series, ran the first official practice and qualifying sessions for the 2012 season today at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (Mosport).
Defending Trans Am Champion, Tony Ave, set the top time [1:17.722] in the morning practice session driving the No. 4 Corvette. Likewise, Bob Stretch, defending Trans Am 2 Champion, turned a 1:26.904 to post the top time in TA2 driving his No. 98 Wheels America Racing Camaro.
In the afternoon qualifying session Ave and Stretch continued to set the pace in their respective classes. Ave took the TA pole with a 1:16.912 while Stretch grabbed the TA2 pole with a 1:25.460.
The top three qualifiers in Trans Am are Ave (4) 1:16.912; Csida (07) 1:17.777; Peterson (87) 1:17.932.
The top three qualifiers in Trans Am 2 are Stretch (98) 1:25.460, Halsmer (12) 1:26.966, Miller (11) 1.27.014
Officials threw a black flag at the 26:50 mark of qualifying due to an incident deriving from a mechanical failure on the No. 26 Trans Am car.
Officials released the following statement:
Cliff Ebben driver of the Trans Am car No. 26 suffered a mechanical failure during qualifying today at the Canadian Tire Motorsport Park in Bowmanville, Ontario. The failure caused the driver to suffer an arm injury. He was treated at the track by Dr. Chris Raynor and then transported to Oshawa General Hospital in Oshawa, Ontario. The extend of his injury is not known at this time.
Director of Competition
The Trans Am Race Company
Green flag racing is scheduled to get underway at 4:15EST Sunday.
How to watch:
GoRacingTV.com will provide a multi-Emmy Award winning production team to produce Trans Am coverage. The coverage will be twofold:
• During each race weekend GoRacingTV.com will deliver “ENG” or electronic news-gathering style video vignettes to fans via the Internet and through the new GoRacingTV.com mobile App. Fans will be able to keep up with their favorite series and drivers throughout the weekend with quick 2 to 3 minute video updates.
• At the end of each weekend there will be a “Trans Am this week” Video show summarizing the weekend’s full events. Each summary show will be complete with highlights of the weekend racing action and interviews with the drivers and Trans Am officials to give a true behind the scenes access and total access coverage approach. There will also be video racing action through trackside and on-board video cameras mounted on the front and back of 90% of the racing field.
Race weekend video vignettes and summary shows can be seen on www.GoRacingTV.com, www.GoTransAm.com’s Vimeo channel, www.vimeo.com/gotransam, www.YouTube.com and through GoRacingTV.com’s mobile App (available mid April).
MAVTV will air the half-hour Trans Am Series weekend recap shows produced and directed by GoRacingTV.com the week following each Trans Am event. The first of three airings will be Sundays at 5:00 pm EDT (2:00 pm PDT). The first encore airing follows on Thursdays at 9:00 pm EDT (6:00 pm PDT), followed by a second encore airing on Fridays at 12:00 am EDT (Thursday, 9:00 pm PDT).? ?All shows will be hosted by veteran Trans Am announcer Alfredo Nin and will be produced in English and Spanish. Spanish speaking shows will have TV distribution in the Spanish speaking Caribbean and Latin America. TV distribution for the US is still in negotiations.
About Trans Am:
The SCCA Trans Am Series dates back to its first season in 1966. Throughout the years, some of the greatest names in motorsports have participated in the Trans Am Series. Backdating the Drivers' Championship to the inaugural season, 30 different drivers took titles, with multiple Championships being won by Paul Gentilozzi, Tommy Kendall, Mark Donohue, Scott Pruett, Wally Dallenbach Jr., George Follmer, Peter Gregg, Horst Kwech, Scott Sharp and Bob Tullius.
The iconic Trans Am Series - America's Road Racing Series - is operated by the Trans Am Race Company, LLC. Through a five-year agreement, the Trans Am Race Company manages the marketing rights to the series and is responsible for Trans Am Series public relations and promotions. SCCA Pro Racing sanctions Trans Am events and provides event operations services to the series.
2012 Trans Am Series Schedule
• May 20, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada?
• May 26 Lime Rock Park, Lakeville, Conn.
• June 10 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, Ohio
• July 1, New Jersey Motorsports Park, Millville, N.J.
• July 8, Watkins Glen International, Watkins Glen, N.Y.
• August 19, Road America, Elkhart Lake, Wis.
• Sept. 2, Brainerd International Raceway, Brainerd, Minn.
• Nov. 4, Road Atlanta, Braselton, Ga.
blog comments powered by Disqus